Tuesday 9 July 2013

Week 24: Saint Sulpice

Saint Sulpice Paris

So – first weekend room-mate-less and it felt only right to go mourn her presence at a Catholic Church... I’M JUST KIDDING, I HAVE OTHER FRIENDS. I did go to a Catholic Church, however, where we did this week’s shoot: the church of Saint Sulpice.



As the name might suggest to those of you who know their saints, this church is dedicated to Sulpitious the Pious (though you’d think they’d all be pretty pious really, still, maybe ol’ Sulpy was extra good at it..)



After Notre Dame Saint Sulpice is the second largest church in Paris- though it’s much younger, with construction on it starting in 1646. It carried on being built, rebuilt, and having bits added to it until the 1780s – right before it ceased being a Roman Catholic Church and temporarily became a temple to the “Supreme Being” whilst Christianity was suppressed during the French Revolution
It is believed that the advent of the famous gnomon (a sort of sundial) in 1727 was one of the only reasons Saint Sulpice was  not destroyed during the Revolution – due to the rational nature of this primarily scientific tool (even if it was originally added to help the priest remember when Easter was...)


Saint Sulpice Paris


The poor old church underwent another temporary political takeover in the 1870s with famous anarchist Louise Michel giving a speech from the pulpit.




Other famous people to have graced its pews include Charles Baudelaire and the Marquis de Sade – both of whom were baptised here – and Victor Hugo who got married here. As did a couple the day we were shooting. Coincidence? Almost definitely...




Finally, Saint Sulpice has found fame in recent years because much of the action of Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code takes place in the church. This is largely due to the claims that the church stands on top of an old pagan temple and that the “P” and the “S” one can see in the window’s stands for “Priory of Sion” – a hilarious fictional organisation which I’d happily go into myself if it weren’t so complicated. (and for those of you who are interested, the “P” and “S” actually stand for St. Peter and St – you guessed it – Sulpitious)



Going to a Catholic church gave me the perfect opportunity to do a shoot inspired by Givenchy’s ready-to-wear Spring collection 2013. Ricardo Tisci’s Italian Catholic inspiration may not immediately be obvious because it is all hidden in the detail – the angelic fabrics and colours, the metallic priest collars, the billowing bishop sleeves, and tunics worn over trousers giving a vestment-esque impression.



For my attempt at being a Givenchy nun I paired this dove grey linen skirt with a voluminous, baby blue chiffon shirt and my Monki silver choker – which is fast becoming one of my favourite bits of jewellery.


Shirt - Primark
Skirt - H+M
Choker - Monki
Shoes - H+M
Cross - Antique

The church is beautiful – and was much calmer and quieter than Notre Dame, being a little less well-known, and a little further off the beaten track. The area is lovely too, but expensive – so be prepared if you plan to go for a pre- or post-church bite to eat! Anyway, fashion party is over and it’s back to the dissertation for me. If you fancy following my mournful daily tweets on the subject, you can find me here. Happy Heatwave!


Saint Sulpice Paris

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. You didn't say where your stuff is from! Any H&M?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WHoops! I knew I'd forgotten something! Shall go rectify that now. And yeh...guilty - the skirt AND shoes... How did you guess Anonymous? :P

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you cleared this up. I was wondering where it was all from too! I can't believe it's H&M!!!!!!!!
    !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy Of A Roommate16 July 2013 at 01:05

    I CANNOT BE REPLACED. But fab entry pally, the photos came out ace- and I didn't know V-Hyoog got married there!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment - you'll make my day!